Baking Goals

 Is there anything more delightful than hearing the excited squeals of a loved one as they unbox the wonderful surprise you have for them?

  

It is a new year, and therefore it is customary to think of what one aims to achieve over the next 12 months. I do not think that I used to have baking goals, other than maybe really enjoy the treats that come my way.

A couple of months ago, I started to think about what I want to achieve through my baking. I enjoy baking, and indulging in baked goods, but I knew that those were not goals for me. I guess part of growing up is seeking higher and higher satisfaction from the things we engage in. As such, I have come to find I enjoy even more when I move from doing something for the hell of it, to doing it because I really want to, or that I am gunning for a specific outcome. Whether I hit the target or not, I have come to find, is secondary to me. The joy is in the pursuit. The learning that comes through the pursuit. And, yes the satisfaction in completing. Don’t get me wrong, I love to win!

Because baking hits certain spots for me, I can only amplify the experience by setting goals that are very in tune to the person that I am. There is no point in setting goals that are foreign to who I am. I will not stick it through to the end. While there is a lot of inspiration and influence out there, the goals that actually have us jumping out of bed to chase, are those that we set from our own volition.

Thus, this year I put forward desires that I would like to see become a reality, rather continue to grow in reality.

 

Set it in joy

I want to enjoy every day. I want to continue experiencing the joy and delight that baking gives me. It places me at a state of calm, allowing my mind to be still enough to think through other spaces of my life. Some people have a drink, others takes a nap, some of us go play with flour and eggs.

It is because if this that I never want to lose the fun behind what I get to do. Likewise, whatever goals I set for my baking this year, the ultimate goal is the pleasure they will cause for me. No good goal is set in desperation or anger. It’s all fun and games here. So, what will I really enjoy working on this year?

 

The language of baking

Being a trained communicator, I find that I think of what everything communicates. I am always thinking of cause and effect, feedback, non-verbal cues, impulses and what is always left unsaid. (See why I bake? My mind is a continuous puzzle.)

One of the ways I communicate, is with the food I prepare for others. The meal you present for someone can communicate love, pride, joy, care, acceptance and so many other human emotions. Likewise, how the recipient reacts, consumes it and behaves after it is done, all communicate back to the giver a whole scope of emotions and ideas. It could be gratitude, a reflection of the love expressed, excitement, satisfaction, delight…

It is these positive emotions that I hope to communicate, and draw out of others with my baking this year. Is there anything more delightful than hearing the excited squeals of a loved one as they unbox the wonderful surprise you have for them? That is the goal. To have as many people experience the unbound joy a child has over something good.

 

The creation in baking

To achieve this, I am well aware that first I have to bake. Over the years, my goal has simply been to get better, perhaps discover a new recipe here and there, or even just try something new. This year the aim is to get really good with the baking. My mind is leaning towards the unconventional. It is the year I intend to discover, learn and even create more of my own recipes. I want every bite to delight even more!

 

Delight in decor

What is an amazing bake without the bells and whistles?

For many, this is the trying bit. Decorating a cake is a challenge sometimes; so many bits and pieces, some need drying and hardening, others need time in the fridge, others special tools… so many moving parts. Oh, but the pride in putting out a good final result.

Yet this is what I look forward to the most this year; that I get to explore even more. It is the year of courage!

While last year saw me step a little out of my comfort zone, I want to take the journey further this year. I know I am playful in my approach. In me there is a strong longing to let my creative direction take charge. Who knows, I might join a class, or read a few books. What I will certainly do, is be more daring.

 

The care in sharing

Finally, because I have gained so much from others, I would like to share what I have learned and discovered. It is the joy of being able to be in safe spaces that allow people to grow for me.

I might finally teach a class, or write a cook book. Even this blog is a realisation of a goal on sharing about baking.

These are 4 simple goals. In their simplicity lies the thrill of getting them done. I am eager to see what I will uncover, how far my skills will expand and most importantly, how many squeals of joy I can put in my happiness bank.

What are your baking goals this year? Will you sign up for a class? Buy a book? Join a community? Actually try that recipe? Whatever it is, fearlessly pursue your passion. It is so worth it!

 

Comments

Popular Posts